Study with Mell
Q: What ages do you teach?
A: My students range from ages 8 to adult. I prefer to start beginning students when they are in 4th or 5th grade (when they've had division and fractions in math class and are participating in the school band or recorder program) but I will occasionally consider younger students depending on the individual and the family.
Q: What do you teach?
A: The primary areas for my teaching are:
- READING and music fundamentals
- Developing an effective grip and solid fundamental technique.
- Rudimental and Concert Snare Drum
- Drumset including reading, rudiments, independence, rock, swing, and ethnic styles.
- Mallets (xylophone, marimba, vibraphone, and bells.) Two and Four Mallet Techniques.
- Accessory Percussion
- Youth Orchestra/Band, Regional and State Band/Orchestra, and Honors Band audition preparation.
(Current and former students have performed with the Cleveland Orchestra Youth Orchestra, Cleveland Youth Wind Symphony, the Contemporary Youth Orchestra, Long Island Youth Orchestra, and Regional and Honors Ensembles across the state of Ohio, including ensembles at the Ohio State Fair, Kent State University, Ohio University, The University of Akron, and Bowling Green State University.)
- College Audition Preparation
(Motivated students have been accepted at and attended The Peabody Conservatory, Berklee College of Music, Indiana University, the Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music, The University of Illinois, Baldwin-Wallace College, Wright State University, Cleveland State University, Kent State University, The University of Akron, and The Ohio State University.)
Q: Where do you teach?
- 1.) At my home studio in Hinckley, Ohio.
- 2.) Students in the Copley/Fairlawn School District can take lessons at the High School
Q: How much are lessons?
A: Contact me for the current rates.
Q: Ok, so how do we contact you?
A: You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Send me a message with your name and contact information (email and phone, please) and a brief explanation of what you are interested in accomplishing.
Q: So, who were some of your students?
A: Joe Tomino (Matisyahu, Dub Trio) and Eric Beach (So Percussion) are two high profile former students. Other students have become school music educators, cruise ship and touring show band drummers, church musicians, music therapists and everyday citizens who aren’t in music professionally, but took their positive music experiences forward with them into diverse careers and lives.
© 2018 Mell Csicsila